August 10, 2015

OURStory: George Crockett, Jr. (1909-1997)


On this date in 1909, George Crockett was born. He was an African American lawyer, State Judge, and a congressman from Michigan.

From Jacksonville, Duval County, Fla., George William Crockett Jr., attended the public schools, graduated with a B. A. from Morehouse College, Atlanta, Ga. in 1931 and received his J.D., from the University of Michigan Law School in 1934. Admitted to the Florida bar in 1934 he began practicing in Jacksonville as a senior attorney. In 1939, Crockett worked with United States Department of Labor as a hearing officer, and with the Federal Fair Employment Practices Commission in 1943.

He was senior member of a law firm in Detroit from 1946 to 1966, after which he was elected judge of Recorder’s Court in Detroit serving from 1967 to 1979. While acting corporation counsel for the city of Detroit, Crockett was elected as a Democrat to the Ninety-sixth Congress, by special election in 1980, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Charles C. Diggs, Jr., and at the same time he was elected to the Ninety-seventh Congress.

While in the House of Representative, he served on the Committee on Foreign Affairs, the Committee on the Judiciary, and the select Committee on Aging. He used his seat on Foreign affairs to voice his opposition to the South African government’s policy of apartheid. Crockett was reelected to the four succeeding Congresses and served until January 3, 1991 and was not a candidate for re-nomination in 1990 to the One Hundred Second Congress. George Crockett died September 7, 1997.


Rest In Peace Granddaddy!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome tribute! Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Unknown said...

that was a beautiful tribute. Reading about him makes me proud. I can only imagine how you must feel....a beautiful tribute

Unknown said...

Regina & Blog Queen - What is the point of owning our own media vehicles if we don't give props to our own! I encourage you to do the same as you have time or inclination...

Black on Campus said...

I miss Great Uncle George. He was loving and supportive and a wonderful and inspiring role model. I miss him, his sister, and his youngest brother, my grandad. We are fortunate to have had this generation in our lives for so long... and I think of them every day.

Unknown said...

Ajuan - I miss that generation of our lineage as well. I never knew your granddad as well as I knew Aunt Alzeda and my granddad ... but, we are blessed!

Big Mama said...

Judge Crockett, as he was affectionately called by some, would be 101 were he still on this side. I am forever grateful for the love, the upbringing and the example of service that he gave to me!

Oh, and, all my life, I call him
Daddy!

One proud daughter...

Reggie said...

Impressive, very very impressive.