June 3, 2008

Can Barack Obama Become 44th President of the United States?

The Democratic primary is over. Barack Obama claimed victory tonight.

Hillary Clinton is tone-deaf. It is almost sad to watch her strategize about how to become a vice president. She thanked Obama for running ... but, did not acknowledge that he has won. However, it really doesn't matter. Hillary Clinton became a footnote to history tonight. She did better than any other woman in history. She won a lot of votes while losing the primary election. But, in the end ... she lost.

Tomorrow we can begin talking about the general election and John McCain and vice presidential candidates.

Today ... I join with other villagers as we bask in the glow of a Barack Obama victory. The past five months have been remarkable as we watched this skinny Black guy with the funny name overcome the Clinton machine.

Do you remember how you felt back in January when Obama gave his victory speech in Iowa? I sat with my mom watching this speech. We were both brought to tears as it dawned on us that he could win ... that white people could actually support a Blackman for the highest office in the land.

Do you remember how you felt when you were first introduced to his family?

Do you remember when you first heard Will-I-Am and his 'Yes We Can!' YouTube video?

Do you remember how you felt when he gave the 'More Perfect Union' speech in Philadelphia. It was remarkable to hear a public leader talk with us about race relations in a candid manner.

Do you remember how you felt when he received endorsements from Oprah Winfrey, Ted Kennedy, Chris Dodd, Bill Richardson, John Edwards and others?

Now fast-forward your vision to November 2008. Can you imagine how you and your children will feel when Barack Obama becomes the 44th President of the United States?

Care to share your thoughts and vision for Barack Obama at this very critical moment in our nation's history? What say u?

12 comments:

SjP said...

Wow! I'm really full right now! I'm so happy. My kids will be first time voters this year. And they have the opportunity to vote for an African American! My! What an opportunity for first and old-timers for that matter.

I just posted on the irony of this event. I'd like to know your thoughts.

Just feel like Congratualations are in order!

SjP

Jackie said...

Wow! This place is actually beginning to feel like America the Beautiful. I have shed so many tears already and I just can't wait until the convention speech and the inauguration speech next January. Can we stand it? Yes we can!
I wish my mom was here.

Kristin said...

I remember his More Perfect Union Speech I was at work and streaming it live. By the conclusion of his speech I felt humbled, also sadden that America still requires a speech regarding the sepeartion amoung races/ethnicities and classes, yet invigorated and a teeny weenie bit hopeful that I am going to see a definitive change for our future. Congratulations Democratic Presidential Nominee Obama. It’s ride or die time, in the words of James Brown I would rather die on my feet than be living on my knees.

Unknown said...

Sojourner - I will come by to visit your post. I agree with you that this is a glorious and historic moment. Now we need to settle into the next five months of battle with John McCain...

Jackie - It is remarkable to realize that America may be the first country in the Western world to have a Blackman as its leader. Truly remarkable...

Torrance - Amen brotha!

Jackie - Not only am I proud to be Black (James Brown inspired!) ... but, today I am proud to be American...

Unknown said...

Barack Obama's accomplishments tonight proved that there is still hope for America that has had such a torturous past with slavery, the Civil War, street riots, open racism and so many other things that made this country less than honorable many times over. I say that Barack Obama's win was the culmination of efforts by Marcus Garvey, Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, Rosa Parks, Johnnie Carr, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Andrew Youngs, Maynard Jackson, Thurgood Marshall, Malcolm X, Medgar Evers, Joseph Lowery, Ralph Abernathy and so many heroes and foot soldiers in the fight for civil rights of blacks in this country. It is also important to recognize the fact that on August 28th when Obama gives his acceptance speech at the Democratic Convention, it will mark the anniversary of Dr. King's famous and life-changing "I Have a Dream" speech. This will be such a poignant moment in American history that will be recorded in the annals of our history. Check out the two pieces I wrote on his accomplishment last night!

Anonymous said...

"Can Barack Obama become the 44th President of The United States?"

Yes He Can!

Unknown said...

Gunfighter - Amen! Yes He Can!...

Janet - I thought your analysis and observations were right on point. It is truly a remarkable historical moment in American history. The people on your list are part of the story. However, Barack & Michelle Obama are part of the story as well. They had a thought in their mind when nobody else gave them a chance ... and that thought became a reality last night...

Unknown said...

Yes, he had a vision and a dream to which he worked steadily. His wife played an integral role in his vision and it coming to fruition. He believed when many did not. He dared when some people thought he could not. As I have said, you may not agree with all his positions, as I have, but I love him because of what he stands for and what he means to this country. He is a decent brother who just believed that he could and he did.

Unknown said...

It was indeed a fabulous night and one that will be imprinted on history. It was a particularly grueling campaign but definitely historic! I hope that for a minute he is basking in the glow of his victory!
Now the hard work for Obama really starts!

msladyDeborah said...

I am so glad that I have been able to watch this moment in our story unfold from when it begin up to this moment!

What makes even more satisfying is the fact that my parents are alive to see and participate in this moment.

I was so full and so proud to see Barack and Michelle step out onto the platform on Tuesday. Especially when they looked at each other and touched hands, it was so beautiful to see. In spite of all that has happened~he made it!

Now in answer to the question, can he be the nation's 44th president=I believe that can happen.

It is going to require that we donate some of our time, effort, energy and resources to help him.

But this was the first round and it is over!

Gerri said...

I do think he can become the next President.
He has gotten this far and a lot people didn't think he had a chance.
I wish him all the best in his quest and I sure do hope he does become President.

Unknown said...

Regina - Methinks that Obama's first few days as the nominee have gone well. I think the brotha is gonna do this thing!

Lady D - I agree. We need to donate time, money, energy and prayers to Obama for the journey over the next five months...

Gerri - Amen!